Suffice to say I will not be participating on another cycling holiday anytime soon. A week after returning from Paris I am now only just able to sit down in moderate comfort. I will also never be trusting ‘cycle friendly’ maps –at one point we were directed through a logging forest where it would have been easier to abseil down. But, with my a family motto, BE A WARRIOR NOT A WIMP, going round in my head, I made it. Upon my return, I was still in a cycling coma and wanted fast, comforting food. These fritters are quick and you can vary the ingredients depending on what you fancy. Courgettes are in season and taste great whether eaten hot or cold:
Makes about 8 fritters
- 50g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 50ml milk
- 1 grated courgette
- 1 small tin of sweet corn
- 50g feta, crumbled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Tatziki or sweet chilli sauce or cheese and chive dip all work well – preference is up to you!
- In a mixing bowl sift the flour. Make a well and pour the eggs in the middle. Whisk, gradually incorporating the flour. Add the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Add the courgette, sweet corn, feta, season and mix.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. Once hot, add tablespoons of the mixture (you will have to do this in batches). Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Serve with a dip of your choice and a green salad.
Directions for use: Get cheesy… try them with Parmesan if feta doesn’t float your boat.