Before I begin I’d just like to clarify that the word Alcopop is no longer the bright blue, lip staining drink beginning in ‘W’ ending in ‘D.’ No, no, I’m talking about the highly sophisticated, soon to be all the rage, ‘Alcoholic Iced Lollypop’. Drum roll please! Perhaps I need to get out more, but words cannot describe my excitement when my £5 lolly mould arrived in the post. Pretending I was Heston Blumenthal, I first made the sugar syrup, essentially just water and melted sugar. Then you have to carefully measure the alcohol and tonic measurements. I say carefully as, unlike most things, where the ‘more the merrier’ rule applies, the lollies will (obviously) not freeze if it’s 3/4 booze and 1/4 tonic. Chop some cucumber into strips and bung them in the moulds. There you have it… the most fun I’ve had in long time…. your very own, bang on trend, Alco-Pop.
- 120ml Hendricks Gin
- 120ml sugar syrup
- 720ml tonic water
- Cucumber, peeled and cut into strips
For the sugar syrup:
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups of caster sugar
- Make your sugar syrup. This is one part water to two parts sugar. Tip the water into a saucepan until warm. Tip the sugar in – stir until dissolved. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Pour the gin and tonic into a bowl with the cooled sugar syrup. Stir.
- Place your sliced cucumber into your moulds and then pour in your G&T mixture.
- Pop in the freezer and leave until frozen.
Directions for use: Eat quickly! The alcohol in them means they melt quite quickly. Well, it’s one way to get a party started!
Clauds, I’m spotting a worrying trend towards alcohol-based recipes. Do you have anything for designated drivers? How about my recipe for an alcohol-free martini? Couldn’t be easier: First, take one olive… And that’s it. Al.
I look forward to the one ingredient blog immensely. An exceptional diet…. x