Well I’m currently housebound. My front door is swinging off its hinges and the locksmith has promised to return within two hours, with a part which is costing about the same as the entire house. To pass time I decided to bake using only the ingredients I had in the cupboards. Flapjacks were the result – a perfect snack for a weekends hike in the Welsh hills…. if I ever manage to leave my house that is.
- 140g light muscovado sugar
- 3 tbsp honey
- 140g butter
- 250g rolled oats
- 85g raisins
- 85g almonds roughly chopped
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 50g apricots, finely chopped
- Grease a 23 x 23cm tin and line with baking parchment. Heat oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. Gently heat the sugar, honey and butter in a pan until the sugar and butter have both melted. Stir the oats, raisins, pumpkin seeds, almonds and apricots into the pan until coated in the butter.
- Spoon the mixture into your traybake tin. Using the back of smooth spread out the oat mixture evenly, adding pressure to make sure it is all packed down. Bake for 35 mins or until dark golden. Leave to cool completely before cutting into 16 bars with a sharp knife.
Directions for use: Buy better doors to save being stranded for the day…