I was running low on veg for a Sunday lunch, so asked a friend to pick up some broccoli on her way. She arrived with not one, not 2, but 5 whole broccoli’s. Now, don’t get me wrong, I like broccoli, but 5 is quite a hefty amount of greenery to wade through. So, on Tuesday evening at 7:30pm chorizo-broccoli cheese was born. It was a momentous occasion and I was rather sad to be alone to witness it, as I not only thought it wonderfully delicious, but it meant that I sunk an entire dish by myself.
- 2 x broccoli’s – cut into small florets
- 2 chorizo cooking sausages – get the best quality you can find. I bought mine from Brindisa.
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 1 pint of milk
- 50g strong cheddar plus extra for the top
- Good pinch of paprika
- Handful of breadcrumbs
- Steam the broccoli until tender. Place in an overproof dish.
- Place the chopped up chorizo into a saucepan. Brown the meat, remove from heat and mix with the broccoli.
- Melt the butter in a pan and then add the flour. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and gradually add the milk, whisking, until you have a sauce like consistency.
- Return the pan onto a low heat and add the cheese, paprika and season. Stir well (make sure it’s lump free!).
- Pour over the broccoli and chorizo. Top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs
- Grill until golden brown.
Directions for use: Encourage guests to bring their own vegetables… it leads to wonderful things.